Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: swap on zram

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 11:47 AM John M. Harris Jr <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thursday, June 4, 2020 11:54:37 PM MST Kevin Kofler wrote:

> > Also -1 to adding something to the core system that is written in a language
> > for which we do not even have dynamic linking support. Or even real
> > static linking support, as opposed to packaging libraries as source code.
> >         Kevin Kofler
>
> Agreed. Besides, GNOME already has this enabled, right? It's definitely not
> right for servers, as I brought up the last time this was thrown around.

In discussions with both cloud and server folks, their use cases often
do not even create disk-based swap at all. A small swap-on-zram
provides all the benefits of inactive anonymous page eviction,
including reducing reclaim of file pages, without the black hole
performance problems of swap-on-drive.

So yes it's well suited for these cases and the proposal does include
them. If they wish to be left out, that's up to those working groups.
It's possible to make sure /etc/systemd/zram-generator is not present.

--
Chris Murphy