Re: Modularity survey - results

Daniel Mach wrote:
> Our goal (I speak for the people who *currently* work on Modularity
> project at Red Hat) is *not* pushing anyone to use Modularity. It's up
> to Fesco, SIGs, spin maintainers and individual package maintainers to
> make their choices.

But our point is that it should be up to individual *users*. Modularity
needs to become fully optional, i.e.:

* disable `*modular*.repo` by default,
* keep default streams banned (as they are now provisionally),
* ban module-only packages: modular versions should only be allowed as
  alternatives to existing packages,
* encourage using parallel-installable compatibility packages rather than
  modules wherever reasonable (e.g., libraries, language interpreters, …).

Then you can play with the technology as much as you want, without
disturbing anybody. (But you will probably find that users will prefer other
ways to get alternative software versions, i.e., Copr for leaf packages,
parallel-installable compatibility packages for non-leaf packages.)

        Kevin Kofler