Re: Modularity survey - results

Interesting that the survey shows that the most common response was that people use it "not at all" and the overall response was negative, but the reaction to that is, "improve the docs" and "works as intended". Am I the only one who thinks that the people pushing modularity aren't listening to the larger community?

I used to love Fedora for being my community distro... but ever since modularity, things seem to be far less about the community, and far more about doing what a tiny few want. Modularity has some good ideas... it has some merit... just like SCL had some good ideas... but good ideas aren't enough to override the fact that few people want it, and most people find it more problematic than beneficial.

The disproportionate size of the effort and disproportionate disruption it has caused to the stability of Fedora packaging, just don't seem to be justifiable at the current level of maturity.

For what it's worth, I applaud the efforts of the modularity team for the kind of research and development they've put in to the system... I don't fault them at all for their work to experiment with a new packaging paradigm... I just think the degree of experimentation on the packager experience while packagers still need to do their packaging, wasn't the right venue for that experimentation, and Fedora had suffered immensely as a consequence.