Re: Modularity survey - results

Dne 19. 05. 20 v 16:56 Miro Hrončok napsal(a):
On 19. 05. 20 16:46, Christopher wrote:
Interesting that the survey shows that the most common response was that people use it "not at all" and the overall response was negative, but the reaction to that is, "improve the docs" and "works as intended". Am I the only one who thinks that the people pushing modularity aren't listening to the larger community?
FWIW I understand the action point for this survey as a way to improve the situation for environments where we are "stuck with modularity" (such as RHEL and EPEL 8) rather than a call for action that says "if we fix this, we'll proceed with Fedora modularization".

Exactly.

<official statement>
Our goal is to improve the *existing* implementation of Modularity (RHEL 8 and EPEL 8 compatibility is important for us) and make it *available* to any projects under Fedora Project umbrella, which includes Fedora and EPEL 8. That's why we'll focus on the docs in the first place. The survey confirmed that people make a lot of assumptions about Modularity and interpret it in their own ways and this is source of many misunderstandings. When we're all on the same page, we can move on and work on individual fixes.

Our goal (I speak for the people who *currently* work on Modularity project at Red Hat) is *not* pushing anyone to use Modularity. It's up to Fesco, SIGs, spin maintainers and individual package maintainers to make their choices.

Please note that we are not the same people who created Modularity, we took it over recently and we are expected to maintain it, not to redesign it from scratch. Please give us a chance to prove that we listen to the community.
</official statement>

<personal opinion>
I interpret the survey results that some people in Fedora would use modules to build and distribute multiple versions of their software stacks, but the increased complexity and related issues are not worth it.

I believe that to make Modularity successful and useful for the community, we need to simplify it and better integrate it with the rpm ecosystem. Make it more straightforward for those who build or distribute modules and nearly invisible for those who consume them.
</personal opinion>