Re: Proposal: Revise FESCo voting policy

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 05:36:06PM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> One strong argument for the proposed change is that, currently, an
> abstention or recusal (TIL that's the proper term) is essentially
> equivalent to a negative vote. (As long as we require +5 to pass,
> any vote apart from +1 has the same effect.)
>
> In a hypothetical case where three or four FESCo members were involved
> in a change and decided to recuse themselves, a proposal gets a very
> high bar of 5/6 or 5/7 votes. If one or two voting members are absent,
> the change may not even pass even if *all* non-abstaining members are
> in favour.

Especially in the case of recusal it should be a higher bar, to keep the
assessment on the same level.

If a non FESCo member proposes a solution, this person needs to convince
5 people, that their solution is good.

If a FESCo member proposes a solution, this person would only need to
convince 4 people (or less, depending on the final rule), that their
solution is good.

A positive voting result should always be a statement, that at least 5
people in FESCo can approve the thing in question, to the best of their
knowledge. In the case that a FESCo member assumes a conflict of
interest for her/him this should just lead to a self-removal from the
process (either by voting no, which seems weird, or by abstaining, which
counts as no, but doesn't seem weird)
The result should be the same, that 5 FESCo members (optimally with a
minimum amount of conflict of interest) can confirm that the thing in
question should happen.

Removing people not attending the vote from the quorum can be discussed,
but if a lot of people either don't care about the question or
explicitely don't vote for some reason, this is probably also not a vote
that should go through.

All the best,
David