Re: Proposal: Add "Feedback" section to change proposal template

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 4:03 AM Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't know, I am somewhat ambivalent on this. I am not sure who is
> going to collect the feedback there. Will it be the owner of the change
> or somebody else?

The owner of the change would be responsible for it, but they may
delegate that to someone for contentious issues as described in the
proposed text. In an ideal world, I would love to have someone with
journalism-like experience whose job was to perform this kind of
summary (and perhaps summaries of our mailing lists more generally). I
don't see that happening.

>What will be the structure? Will it be just bunch or
> quotes from random sources?

It could be, although the idea is to have a curated summary. I don't
want to prescribe a format, at least not until we have some experience
with this, because the feedback summary could range from "no one
provided feedback" to "here are the 20 objections people had and how
we responded to them". That said, if anyone has some examples of
proposals (either in Fedora or other projects) that do a good job of
summarizing feedback, I'd be happy to add those as references in the
guidance.

> Wouldn't it be better to utilize the "discussion" tab/feature of the
> wiki instead?

We could do that, but including it in the text itself makes it more
portable if the change gets republished somewhere else (say, for
example, we move from Mediawiki to another wiki platform or we archive
accepted change proposals as static pages).

> Or wouldn't it be better to include the devel ML reference?

For simple feedback, that would be sufficient. For long threads, it
adds little value. I do include a link to the thread when submitting
changes to FESCo, but it would be helpful to have a quick summary to
read instead of re-reading the whole thread (and yes, someone could
write the summary to intentionally misrepresent the feedback, but I
trust the community to act in good faith).

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His