Re: CPE Weekly: 2020-04-04

Hi,

On Mon, 2020-04-06 at 09:49 -0400, Ben Rosser wrote:
> > Not everyone is inclined to loudly argue their positions on the
> > mailing
> > list. There have only been 12 unique participants to this thread and 57
> > to the other thread.
> >
> > That isn't indicative of the entire Fedora packager ecosystem. A lot of
> > people are staying silent.
> > [...]
>
> I'm a packager who has been staying silent, but I generally strongly
> agree with the points that Adam, Miro, Neal, and others have been
> making with a few caveats:

This is also why I am staying silent. I believe the points I would make
have already been made, and probably much better than I could have
formulated them. Including what Ben just said.

> * I don't _really_ mind if we wind up using Gitlab over Pagure, but if
> we do, I do feel pretty strongly that we should use Gitlab CE and
> self-host it-- I don't think it would be right for Fedora to use an
> externally hosted solution and I don't think we should use the
> enterprise edition.
>
> * I don't like how this process has been conducted, and I think that
> official responses from CPE thus far haven't really made things
> better-- if anything, the "we apologize, but this is the decision
> we've made" attitude is making things worse.
>
> * I fear that, once again, we haven't adequately understood the
> consequences of replacing pagure and some of the features that were
> recently-- finally!-- added to it in order to replace missing pkgdb2
> functionality will again be lost for a long period of time... and
> nothing I've read in any of these threads so far has helped reassure
> me that's not the case.

It seems to me that nobody is happy with the process that was followed.
Reading back it is clear that people feel that what they perceive as
the Fedora goals and mission were not taken into account. Or at least
not formulated correctly, or strongly enough, during this process. And
that the process wasn't transparent, because various steps were not
visible enough. So a large part of the community was surprised by the
decision and believe that their input wasn't heard or simply ignored.
Including the input of some of who will have to do part of the
(integration) work.

I am sure that wasn't what was intended. And that there were just a few
communication accidents that caused things to break down. But
recognizing that some mistakes were made and trying to correct them so
that a real community can be build up around these kind of decisions is
important.

Cheers,

Mark