Re: CPE Weekly: 2020-04-04

On Mon, 6 Apr 2020, Leigh Griffin wrote:

> We cannot take the view of a singular person and make changes based on
> that, we defer to them for prioritisation and their input. That's how the

But, having reviewed the 'wishlist' of criteria quoted last
week, [in the thread with Ben Cotton's message last Friday --
I believe the URL to the list directly was posted in the
thread: CPE Git Forge Decision, but cannot lay my hands on it
presently], it very obviously had not been winnowed down or
curated down into any sort of rank order priority, or even
something as simple as an Agile set of cards, sorted into
stacks:

	- Must be present, showstopper if absent
	- Expected, but not critical if absent
	- Nice to have, but 'neh'

... so that task decomposition could proceed.  If it had been
openly done, with actual stakeholders at the table, the 'Must
be free sources' criteria would have been in that top pile,
and remained there.  Without that 'polestar', other criteria
were treated as critical

As an outsider (from CentOS 1 era), who votes in each Fedora
election, it looks as a non-transparent result is being
'justified' ex post

If there are unacceptible non-Free parts at Gitlab to the
Fedora vision of attainable via no non-freely licensed
package, I'd be studying how to relieve the non-free
constraints in Gitlab, rather than 'fighting City Hall'

Just my thoughts,

-- Russ herrold