Re: CPE Git Forge Decision

On Fri, 2020-04-03 at 12:45 +0100, Leigh Griffin wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 3:58 PM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 8:16 pm, Paul Frields <stickster@xxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > > For a solution to be viable it needs to meet requirements.
> >
> > Of course, but the problem is that the requirements identified by CPE
> > are wildly inconsistent with the actual requirements of the Fedora
> > community. The Pagure we have right now seems to be working fine for
> > Fedora. All we really need is occasional light maintenance and ensuring
> > the infrastructure keeps running. I don't think we'd be having this
> > conversation now at all if "dist-git must be open source" was a listed
> > requirement, as it should have been from the beginning.
> >
> > We don't need merge trains or MR approvals or mobile apps (seriously?)
> > or private comments or gists or analytics or basically any of the other
> > requirements that Neal has lampooned. I understand CentOS and RHEL
> > really want merge trains, so maybe that one is a good faith
> > requirement, but I honestly don't think most of the rest of them are.
> > The list seems to have been concocted by looking at GitLab features
> > exclusive to Enterprise and Ultimate editions and then listing as many
> > as possible, not by actually listing features that are really actually
> > needed to make things work. I know the requirements came from
> > stakeholders and not from CPE, but the requirements are so far removed
> > from Fedora's actual needs that it has jeopardized the legitimacy of
> > the rest of the process. Fedora simply doesn't need any of it. To the
> > extent that CentOS or RHEL actually needs a non-OSS feature -- and I
> > don't think they *really* do, because those look like nice-to-haves --
> > then that just means that their needs are incompatible with Fedora's.
> >
> > So let's fix the requirements first. Attempting to share requirements
> > with CentOS and RHEL has clearly failed.
>
> The CPE team are at the intersection point of CentOS, Fedora and RHEL. We
> cannot escape that so any requirements gathered needs to respect that. We
> cannot sustain a service of feature for multiple individual stakeholders of
> this breadth. This was a driving factor in the exercise and decision.

But if the decision is ultimately to go with a hosted service, there's
no particular reason it needs to be the exact same hosted service for
all three stakeholders, is there? OK, dealing with multiple entirely
different forges could be a drag, but it has been suggested in the
thread that we could ask Gitlab for a hosted Gitlab CE. That doesn't
seem like it'd be difficult.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey