Re: CPE Git Forge Decision

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 10:48:55AM -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> Some failure of process or communication must have occurred
> somewhere along the lines, because open source should have been the
> first and most important requirement. A proprietary software
> solution is incompatible with the ethos and purpose of the Fedora
> project. I ask CPE to revise its requirements list to include open
> source as the first and most important requirement from the Fedora
> community. If that's incompatible with CentOS's need for merge
> request approvals or whatever else, then we need to accept that
> sharing the same forge is simply not going to work.

Obviously open source is one of our key foundations. And it is part of who
we are even before those foundations were drafted. Nonetheless, I want to
gently discuss this a little bit. We make an entirely open source and free
software operating system. We support and promote and advocate for open
source and free content. But we can't do everything, and at some point, this
becomes "this is why we can't have nice things". I see that you've made
contributions to other open source projects on GitHub and (hosted) GitLab
this month. Lots of Fedora contributors have and will continue to do so.
Many use that as their main hosting. It's not ideal, but it's not the end of
the world. I don't see Fedora making use of non-open hosted services as the
end of the world either, if that is what is best for us.

We did communicate as the very top line of our gathered requirements that
open source is essential to our community and central to our feedback. I'm
not trying to be soft on that. Let's just not do purity-test level
assessments and instead focus on our goals.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>