Re: CPE Git Forge Decision

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 10:57 AM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 8:16 pm, Paul Frields <stickster@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > For a solution to be viable it needs to meet requirements.
>
> Of course, but the problem is that the requirements identified by CPE
> are wildly inconsistent with the actual requirements of the Fedora
> community. The Pagure we have right now seems to be working fine for
> Fedora. All we really need is occasional light maintenance and ensuring
> the infrastructure keeps running.

For what it's worth, I think some of the problem here is that I don't
see many avenues for the Fedora community to take an active part in
the infrastructure. In the openSUSE Project, I'm involved in the
openSUSE Heroes team, and with that, I actually *do* have the
opportunity to actively assist with the deployment, management, and
basic maintenance of solutions used by the openSUSE Project. The
Fedora equivalent team doesn't exist. There is the releng and
infrastructure teams, but those are gradually being absorbed by the
Red Hat CPE team, and as indicated earlier somewhere, CPE team is not
a community team. The codebases and effort involved when not being
able to share it with the community is high.

Of course, as long as Fedora is using FOSS solutions that have low
barriers to entry for contributors (like Pagure, Noggin, Ipsilon,
Fedocal, fedora-packages, anitya, nuancier, etc.) and those projects
are advertised as ways to contribute to the Fedora Project, then a
good chunk of the burden on the CPE team can probably be lowered
organically. As I said in my original email, Fedora needs to be a
better steward and umbrella organization. By doing so, we can support
our enthusiastic contributors and make for a stronger community.