Re: CPE Git Forge Decision

On 4/1/20 1:16 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
Has it been demonstrated that either Pagure or Gitlab CE are
"not viable" for the purposes Fedora needs?

Hey Adam!

I agree with you that Pagure and Gitlab CE are both viable for Fedora's needs in terms of feature matrices and requirements. We have shipped a handful or so of Fedora releases over the last 3ish years since src.fpo came online as proof!

However, the CPE team does not have the resources to do a good job on maintaining that system, and Bodhi, and Koji, and the 187 other apps (I think we did count the apps we maintained at one point and ended up with a list that was about 190 long!). The responsibility to engineer ratio is not healthy or sustainable.

I agree with the sentiment that this decision process was not done in the open. There was a thread on a Fedora Council mailing list, but I personally was not aware of the existence of that list until someone linked that thread here, and I expect that most of the Fedora community probably does not closely monitor that list. Thus, I don't think that really counts as a venue for open discussion with the community.

I expected to see discussion about it here, on this list, because this is where all of the users for the proposed system can reasonably expected to be. I also expected that discussion to allow community members to be meaningfully involved in the process: requirement gathering, analysis, proposals, counter proposals, counter counter proposals, etc. That's what an open decision process would have looked like in my opinion.