Re: CPE Git Forge Decision

On Tue, 2020-03-31 at 17:06 -0400, Paul Frields wrote:

> > Sure. I tend to think of these as 'upstream projects' that we (Fedora)
> > consume as a downstream. Project hosting has always been a kinda
> > optional bolt-on, I think; going back to the days of fedorahosted.org I
> > don't think we've ever hosted everything "Fedora-adjacent" in our own
> > hosting service, it's always been a "use it if you want to" thing, and
> > the rule for using a project in Fedora has always been "is it open
> > source?", not "how is it hosted?".
>
> Although the Council changed that hard line some time ago.

Someone told me that a few minutes ago; either I wasn't aware at the
time or have forgotten, but my personal opinion is that this was a
mistake.

> > For that reason, I think the "what to do with Pagure.io?" element of
> > this discussion is less critical than the src.fp.o part.
> >
> > >  A critical part of
> > > our infrastructure the NFS shared storage also run an proprietary software
> > > (NetApp).
> >
> > That's been covered already, and was why I put the "(more or less)"
> > caveat into my quote. Of course, when you're getting to storage
> > appliances, you're getting into pretty fuzzy territory, because we
> > don't worry about the openness of the firmware running on our servers
> > and stuff like that either...we've never quite been at FSF levels of
> > ideological purity. But to me, this is at a different level to that.
>
> I see what we do for a dist-git fronting forge as far less compelling
> for "purity level" tests because nearly all the meaningful content is
> still easily copied and/or forked. Using open source for our specific
> authentication needs (self-service groups, etc.), for instance, is a
> recent example of a more compelling level, and the CPE group is
> putting time into that project accordingly.

I'm not sure I entirely understand the argument here. Are you saying we
should only care if the specific things we need in Fedora are open
source - like our CLI integrations and so on? If so, isn't that
entirely naturally compatible with using Gitlab CE? After all, if all
you want the external project to be is a generic git forge and you plan
to write all the integration on top of that yourself, Gitlab CE does
that job fine?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey