Re: CPE Git Forge Decision

> On Tue, 2020-03-31 at 17:06 -0400, Paul Frields wrote:
> > > Sure. I tend to think of these as 'upstream projects' that we (Fedora)
> > > consume as a downstream. Project hosting has always been a kinda
> > > optional bolt-on, I think; going back to the days of fedorahosted.org I
> > > don't think we've ever hosted everything "Fedora-adjacent" in our own
> > > hosting service, it's always been a "use it if you want to" thing, and
> > > the rule for using a project in Fedora has always been "is it open
> > > source?", not "how is it hosted?".
> >
> > Although the Council changed that hard line some time ago.
>
> Someone told me that a few minutes ago; either I wasn't aware at the
> time or have forgotten, but my personal opinion is that this was a
> mistake.

For a bit more on this, it seems Council discussed it again today:

https://meetbot-raw.fedoraproject.org/teams/council/council.2020-04-01-14.00.log.html

as noted there, the precise text agreed was:

"The Fedora Project wants to advance free and open source software and
as a pragmatic matter we recognize that some infrastructure needs may
be best served by using closed source or non-free tools today.
Therefore the Council is willing to accept closed source or non-free
tools in Fedora’s infrastructure where free and open source tools are
not viable or not available."

To me that's fairly strongly qualified. "Not viable or not available".
Note, that does not say "not the absolute best-in-class", it says "not
viable". Has it been demonstrated that either Pagure or Gitlab CE are
"not viable" for the purposes Fedora needs?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey