Re: CPE Git Forge Decision

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 3:25 PM Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-03-31 at 21:18 +0200, Clement Verna wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 at 20:04, Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:

> > > I mean, held by who? This is a standard we have (more or less) held
> > > ourselves to. Which, if you think about it, means it's a standard
> > > that's in our DNA: we're a group of people who *thought it was
> > > important enough to hold ourselves to that standard*. Would it be
> > > hypocritical for someone outside of Fedora who happily uses software
> > > from other projects that are hosted on Github or whatever to criticize
> > > us if we were to do this? Sure, it would be. But this here is not that,
> > > it's us holding ourselves to our own standards.
> > >
> > > Speaking personally, sure, I contribute to Github-hosted projects. I
> > > maintain one project on Github (because it's extremely adjacent to
> > > another project that's hosted on Github and the maintainers of that
> > > project asked me to have it there, so I did). Hell, I send in fixes for
> > > entirely proprietary things sometimes...because my overriding itch is,
> > > if something is there, at least it had better *work* properly. But I
> > > certainly would not consider hosting work that's a fundamental part of
> > > Fedora on a proprietary system, I've always seen that as a *complete*
> > > non-starter - whether we were considering test automation, result
> > > tracking, event organization, anything like that, the very first rule
> > > has always been, if it's not open source it's just not on the list at
> > > all. And as far as I've noticed, that has been the same for all other
> > > core Fedora stuff, for many years.
> > >

> > To add some nuance to stat statement a quite big chunk of the Fedora Infra
> > apps are hosted on GitHub (https://github.com/fedora-infra), and relatively
> > critical things like Bodhi, FAS, mirrormanager, ..... As far as I know most
> > of Fedora CoreOS (and Silverblue ?) is also on GitHub.
>
> Sure. I tend to think of these as 'upstream projects' that we (Fedora)
> consume as a downstream. Project hosting has always been a kinda
> optional bolt-on, I think; going back to the days of fedorahosted.org I
> don't think we've ever hosted everything "Fedora-adjacent" in our own
> hosting service, it's always been a "use it if you want to" thing, and
> the rule for using a project in Fedora has always been "is it open
> source?", not "how is it hosted?".

Although the Council changed that hard line some time ago.

> For that reason, I think the "what to do with Pagure.io?" element of
> this discussion is less critical than the src.fp.o part.
>
> >  A critical part of
> > our infrastructure the NFS shared storage also run an proprietary software
> > (NetApp).
>
> That's been covered already, and was why I put the "(more or less)"
> caveat into my quote. Of course, when you're getting to storage
> appliances, you're getting into pretty fuzzy territory, because we
> don't worry about the openness of the firmware running on our servers
> and stuff like that either...we've never quite been at FSF levels of
> ideological purity. But to me, this is at a different level to that.

I see what we do for a dist-git fronting forge as far less compelling
for "purity level" tests because nearly all the meaningful content is
still easily copied and/or forked. Using open source for our specific
authentication needs (self-service groups, etc.), for instance, is a
recent example of a more compelling level, and the CPE group is
putting time into that project accordingly.

--
Paul