Re: Git Forge Requirements: Please see the Community Blog

On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 at 00:08, Leigh Griffin <lgriffin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2020, 22:06 Iñaki Ucar <iucar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 at 20:58, Leigh Griffin <lgriffin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > This thread is serving as a source of requirements (although it has meandered dramatically away from that)
>>
>> When I first read the post, my thought was: wow, what a convoluted and
>> abstruse way of saying "we want to abandon Pagure". Probably this
>> wasn't your intent, but that's what I got. And given the reactions,
>> other people too.
>
> The linked blog to the ODF is very explicit that Pagure is one of the 3 forge options we are considering. I can't stress enough that it's a viable choice and ultimately what we opt for will come down to an analysis driven by the requirements gathered. I'm unsure how the blog has been interpreted any other way but hopefully this clears it up.

The ODF is very explicit in the problem statement, and it specifically
and clearly says that:

1. Pagure does not align with CPE.
2. CPE is not gonna commit a development team to Pagure.
3. The feature gap is big and growing, and basically Pagure is gonna
die because of this (and the document goes on saying that you're not
trying to solve the feature gap).

Then the ODF lists Pagure as a solution. How am I supposed to
interpret the above?

> If you (and others) elaborate on how you use Pagure (and other forges) and what you value from your day to day usage, we will take that on board and use it to drive our decision making.

Asking for requirements for a *forge* is pointless. A forge doesn't
have requirements. What you do with a forge has requirements. As
others have already pointed out, Pagure is being used at the very
least for 3 distinct use cases: to maintain rpm packages, to maintain
upstream projects, and as an issue tracker. And they all have distinct
requirements. Only that, as it happens, Pagure has grown to cover
their necessities with more or less success, which doesn't necessarily
mean that a forge is the best solution for all of them (as, again,
others have pointed out already). But the ODF only lists forges as
solutions.

So solutions for what? What are we talking about here? Requirements
for src.fp.org? Requirements for things that are in pagure.io? All?
Other?

Iñaki