Re: Git Forge Requirements: Please see the Community Blog

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 9:12 am, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I followed it pretty closely. In the GNOME case, you were willing to
throw away Bugzilla, CGit, and older CI infrastructure to replace it
with GitLab.

To be clear, getting rid of Bugzilla was the goal, not a compromise. cgit is a nice interface but it's mostly obsoleted by GitLab as well. We didn't *have* to get rid of cgit, but there just wasn't a compelling reason to keep it. And we never had any CI prior to GitLab. CI is surely the most important part. GitLab CE has tremendously improved our development workflow.

When I say GitLab, I mean GitLab CE (Community Edition), the open-source self-hosted version of GitLab, not gitlab.com (which is GitLab Enterprise Edition). It doesn't have as many features as github.com, but it's been adopted by many related projects: GNOME, freedesktop.org, KDE, and Debian. Each of these projects had their own long and difficult search to determine which git forge would be best for them, and they all picked GitLab CE.

Michael