Re: Git Forge Requirements: Please see the Community Blog

On Wed, 2020-01-22 at 13:51 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Miro Hrončok:
>
> > On 22. 01. 20 13:12, Aleksandra Fedorova wrote:
> > > I think that it would be more productive if you try to rationalize this opinion.
> > > I don't want to argue about the feeling you have, but I would be
> > > interested in comparing notes on what exactly "Gerrit workflow" means
> > > to you, and whether or not it is the same thing to me.
> >
> > Note that I don't describe an experience with a workflow. I am
> > describing a drive by contributor experience:
> >
> > 1. you send a Pull Request over a familiar channel
> > 2. a bot tells you that you cannot do this and you need to follow this
> > tutorial instead
> > 3. you push your code to some place that is far to overocmplicated to navigate
> > 4. magic happens, there is no way to see what's going on unless you
> > have experienced this before
> > 5. you get dozens of bot e-mail you don't understand
> > 6. eventually hopefully the bot merges the thing
>
> Does that really matter for src.fedoraproject.org and the current
> dist-git model?
>
> Even if you want to make a really simple change (such as fixing a typo
> in the --help message), src.fedoraproject.org will not show you the file
> you need to edit, or provide you with tools to produce a patch/commit to
> submit.
>
> The Github model is different: you would just click on the 🖉 button,
> make your change, add a description, and click “Propose file change”.
> But even if we switched src.fedoraproject.org to Github, this would only
> work for RPM spec file changes.  You would still not be able to edit the
> --help message directly.
Weren't there some suggestions to use upackaged source code/git subtree instead of the tarball
we have now ?

Then the upstream source code would be there and you could fix the --help message directly
in Fedora distgit. The result would be a fixed Fedora package & ideally also the same change automatically
submitted to upstream for review.