Re: Git Forge Requirements: Please see the Community Blog

On 22. 01. 20 13:12, Aleksandra Fedorova wrote:
I think that it would be more productive if you try to rationalize this opinion.
I don't want to argue about the feeling you have, but I would be
interested in comparing notes on what exactly "Gerrit workflow" means
to you, and whether or not it is the same thing to me.

Note that I don't describe an experience with a workflow. I am describing a drive by contributor experience:

1. you send a Pull Request over a familiar channel
2. a bot tells you that you cannot do this and you need to follow this tutorial instead
3. you push your code to some place that is far to overocmplicated to navigate
4. magic happens, there is no way to see what's going on unless you have experienced this before
5. you get dozens of bot e-mail you don't understand
6. eventually hopefully the bot merges the thing

I realize that (4) might be true about "anything new". What I am trying to say is that e-mail is a familiar channel. GitHub / GitLab / Pagure etc. almost looks like a bulletin board or a more code-oriented Facebook comments. However gerrit is like a nuclear power plant control center -> you are afraid to touch anything. You need a tutorial to handle it. It's not beginners friendly and it enhances a cargo cult behavior.

--
Miro Hrončok