Re: Git Forge Requirements: Please see the Community Blog

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 1:25 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 22. 01. 20 13:12, Aleksandra Fedorova wrote:
> > I think that it would be more productive if you try to rationalize this opinion.
> > I don't want to argue about the feeling you have, but I would be
> > interested in comparing notes on what exactly "Gerrit workflow" means
> > to you, and whether or not it is the same thing to me.
>
> Note that I don't describe an experience with a workflow. I am describing a
> drive by contributor experience:
>
> 1. you send a Pull Request over a familiar channel
> 2. a bot tells you that you cannot do this and you need to follow this tutorial
> instead
> 3. you push your code to some place that is far to overocmplicated to navigate
> 4. magic happens, there is no way to see what's going on unless you have
> experienced this before
> 5. you get dozens of bot e-mail you don't understand
> 6. eventually hopefully the bot merges the thing
>
> I realize that (4) might be true about "anything new". What I am trying to say
> is that e-mail is a familiar channel. GitHub / GitLab / Pagure etc. almost looks
> like a bulletin board or a more code-oriented Facebook comments. However gerrit
> is like a nuclear power plant control center -> you are afraid to touch
> anything. You need a tutorial to handle it. It's not beginners friendly and it
> enhances a cargo cult behavior.

OK, I can understand that.

Though when people talk about simplicity of the GitHub interface, I
usually tend to point at this page:
   https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pulls and the k8s-bot actions there
If this page doesn't look overwhelming for you, I don't know what does :)

I admit, being a gerrit user for couple of years I actually miss the
"nuclear plant" interface, where you can get a full state of a change
request in one glance, rather then by browsing through several
"Facebook-like" tabs and pages to see the full picture: comments, ci
results, files changed, people who need to review the task, their
comments,..

And we haven't even started about the CLI interface (git review) it
has, which none of GitLab/GitHub things can compete with.

So you argument for me sounds like Gerrit is too powerful and too
good. Which is a valid argument, actually. We don't want newcomer to
go the full speed with it from a day one.

The question here is:

can we have the power, scalability and feature-richness of a platform
like Gerrit, but (optionally) hidden under the hood so that there is a
"simple mode" for people who just need a one-time contribution?

I've just checked, there is a GitHub plugin [1] for Gerrit which
manages the integration. Could it be the option?

[1] https://gerrit.googlesource.com/plugins/github/

--
Aleksandra Fedorova
bookwar