Re: Git Forge Requirements: Please see the Community Blog

* Miro Hrončok:

> On 22. 01. 20 13:12, Aleksandra Fedorova wrote:
>> I think that it would be more productive if you try to rationalize this opinion.
>> I don't want to argue about the feeling you have, but I would be
>> interested in comparing notes on what exactly "Gerrit workflow" means
>> to you, and whether or not it is the same thing to me.
>
> Note that I don't describe an experience with a workflow. I am
> describing a drive by contributor experience:
>
> 1. you send a Pull Request over a familiar channel
> 2. a bot tells you that you cannot do this and you need to follow this
> tutorial instead
> 3. you push your code to some place that is far to overocmplicated to navigate
> 4. magic happens, there is no way to see what's going on unless you
> have experienced this before
> 5. you get dozens of bot e-mail you don't understand
> 6. eventually hopefully the bot merges the thing

Does that really matter for src.fedoraproject.org and the current
dist-git model?

Even if you want to make a really simple change (such as fixing a typo
in the --help message), src.fedoraproject.org will not show you the file
you need to edit, or provide you with tools to produce a patch/commit to
submit.

The Github model is different: you would just click on the 🖉 button,
make your change, add a description, and click “Propose file change”.
But even if we switched src.fedoraproject.org to Github, this would only
work for RPM spec file changes.  You would still not be able to edit the
--help message directly.  That's why I think that there is little risk
of random drive-by contributions: people just won't find a place to make
the changes they want.  (The potential FPCA issue I raised separately
still exists, though.)

Thanks,
Florian