Re: Git Forge Requirements: Please see the Community Blog

* Aleksandra Fedorova:

>> I even think sending patches over e-mail is probably better.
>
> I think that it would be more productive if you try to rationalize
> this opinion.

Gerrit makes it really hard to figure out your open tasks.  You can see
a list of the reviews you have “started” (unfortunate terminology
IMHO—starting a review means submitting it for others to review, not
starting to review it).  But at the individual review level, it is
really hard to figure out what your next steps are and if you have
addressed all reviewer comments (especially after rebasing).

With email, you can view the entire review thread in your client and tag
messages with action items as needed, and then get back to them for the
next version of the patch.

When we looked at Gerrit for glibc, our conclusion was that it would
need lots of customization.  That's okay if you derive benefit from
actually running the tool (as in, you like to provide this kind of
service personally or you can grow your team as a result), but it's much
more difficult to justify if you are just looking at it as a tool to
support what you are really interested in.

Thanks,
Florian