Re: Git Forge Requirements: Please see the Community Blog

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 2:21 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 22. 01. 20 14:03, Aleksandra Fedorova wrote:
> > can we have the power, scalability and feature-richness of a platform
> > like Gerrit, but (optionally) hidden under the hood so that there is a
> > "simple mode" for people who just need a one-time contribution?
>
> I won't go there, becasue I don't think we need the power, scalability and
> feature-richness of a platform like gerrit in the first place.
>
> 1. Not for dist git

This is where we disagree heavily I guess.

We do need scalability, especially if we consider moving from source
tarballs to unpacked sources at some point. And I hope we do (which is
a yet another discussion we need to have).

In my previous life we hosted Gerrit server for the entire custom
Linux distribution (syncing all OpenStack commits in "real-time") on a
VM with 2Gb of RAM, which never had an issue.

We do need feature richness in terms of central management of the
repositories in src.fp.org: default policies, groups, users,
permissions, CI labels, branching,..
We do need integration, which Gerrit provides through the stream of
events. And we already have CI system (Zuul engine) which can
integrate nicely with it.
We do need features like topics, where pull-requests to different
projects are linked together as an implementation of one larger
cross-project feature. This is something Git Forges don't have as an
object at all, as they treat individual projects as isolated custom
playgrounds, each with a separate workflow.

If we don't get these features from a platform, we are going to
implement it on our own, through bots and external services. Which
will not make the contributor life easier. See the k8s link above:
when integrations are done by bots rather than by internal platform
features, they are not going to look nice or easy.

> 2. Not for ticketing projects on pagure.io
> 3. Code projects on pagure.io can choose a platform that fits their needs

Pagure.io story is different.

--
Aleksandra Fedorova
bookwar