Re: Modularity: The Official Complaint Thread

Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 12:31 PM Aleksandra Fedorova <alpha@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Ursa Prime effort achieves the same goal. It removes the "viral" part
>> of Modularity I think.
>
> That is absolutely its purpose. If we fall short of that, it's a bug
> and we will fix it as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, Ursa Prime is a build-time-only workaround and does not help
end users at all.

>> Again I fail to see the _technical_ difference between the ursine rpm
>> package and a package which was built as a part of default stream. It
>> is the same rpm spec from the same dist-git sources, which is built by
>> the same rpmbuild command. Thus I think it is a process/policy
>> difference, which we should resolve.
>
> I'll acknowledge that there may be subtle differences (such as the
> different "release" tag), but none (offhand) that should have a
> meaningful impact as long as other policy is in place.

There are major technical differences in how DNF processes the package
(which is technically mostly related to repository metadata rather than to
the RPM itself, which is indeed not all that different, but that changes
nothing for the end user), when it comes to choice of preferred version,
upgrade paths, etc. And the behavior for ursine repositories is much more
user-friendly than the one for modules (where the default stream trumps even
local packages, ignoring the EVR entirely, where the upgrade path from
release to release is still an unsolved problem, where you can only choose a
version to upgrade or downgrade to for the entire module vs. individual
packages, where a module can hard-require a version of the entire
distribution, forcing its removal when you upgrade Fedora, independently of
the actual package-level dependencies, etc.).

If you were to implement something like Ursa Prime for the end user repos
and enable the resulting non-modular repository by default instead of
fedora-modular (i.e., Miro's alternate proposal), I would probably complain
a lot less about Modularity. But as it stands, I support Miro's preferred
proposal, i.e., to simply stop using default streams, which I think gives us
essentially the same effect with much less efrort.

        Kevin Kofler