Re: Modularity: The Official Complaint Thread

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 at 15:36, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 12:40 PM Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 at 12:26, Aleksandra Fedorova <alpha@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Again I fail to see the _technical_ difference between the ursine rpm
> > > package and a package which was built as a part of default stream. It
> > > is the same rpm spec from the same dist-git sources, which is built by
> > > the same rpmbuild command. Thus I think it is a process/policy
> > > difference, which we should resolve.
> >
> > Do you view provides/requires/conflicts in an RPM spec and their
> > equivalent in modules to be technical or policy differences. If wrote
> > a policy which says I built X and X-devel but only want to ship X in
> > the module.. is that a policy difference or a technical one?
>
> The technology allows you to do this. The policy can restrict this. Of
> course, this particular example can be true of a non-modular RPM too;
> you don't *have* to build the X-devel subpackage.

I am asking these questions this way because of 20 years of RPM fights
of people arguing over things because a spec file is a combination of
a policy document and a technical document but people like to treat it
as one or the other in the conversations. Getting it clear when you
are speaking about the technical implementation of policy or the
political implementation of technology up front gets that out of the
way. Not being clear is where people start building their own mind
castles to send armies of strawmen against.

I have 0 interest for or against modularity. It is a technology which
tries to solve a problem and has good sides and negatives. What I have
an interest is getting people to be clear where they have
disagreements versus spending their time talking past each other and
getting more and more pissed because of it.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.