Re: Modularity: The Official Complaint Thread

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 7:03 PM Aleksandar Kurtakov <akurtako@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 7:55 PM Aleksandra Fedorova <alpha@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Aleksandar,

>> > The way Eclipse is treated makes me really sad and kind of regret the time spent on Fedora over the years! Being forced to be a module but blocked to be default stream by FESCo arguing over whether it wants modularity (sorry, this is how it looks) is the best way for Fedora to show to project and people they are not wanted in the community!
>> > The net effect for me personally is to totally move my eyes away as I get really pissed off.
>>
>> I am sorry that it looks this way for you, but you are misinterpreting it.
>>
>> FESCo was willing to enable the default stream for eclipse the moment
>> it was requested given by the fact that it actually solves the
>> problem. But it wasn't the case.
>

> Would you please elaborate how this was not the case? There was the glassfish package provided by two streams issue which has been fixed in maven module but eclipse still is not approved as default package. What am I missing?

You can check the logs from the FESCo meeting.

To make a proper decision FESCo needs to understand which problem we
are solving, what is the proposed solution what is the impact of this
solution and what are the alternatives.
The IRC meeting format is not the best way to discuss complex things
that is why it usually needs a preparation in advance in a form of
ticket to FESCo via Pagure which provides a common context for the
conversation.

The previous decision on eclipse was

  AGREED: Drop the unmaintained eclipse from the non-modular
repositories and ship module streams of eclipse. Whenever the
conflicts are resolved later, we can make a default stream available
(+6, 0, 0)
  zbyszek to add eclipse to fedora-obsolet-packages
  mbooth to drive the retirement of non-modular eclipse
  The bug about eclipse not being installable is approved as FESCo FE (+6, 0, 0)

To move forward we need at least to get a status update on it.

1) status of retirement of non-modular eclipse packages
2) status of conflict between maven and eclipse modules
3) status of the module - is it verified that enabling eclipse module
explicitly now solves the problem?
- will "dnf install eclipse" work on new Fedora with all updates?
- will "dnf install eclipse" work on Fedora with updates and maven
module installed previously?
- .. maybe some other cases?

We didn't get all of this information during the meeting, there was no
feedback in the relevant BZ with the verification either, and the
attempt to verify the solution during the meeting provided
contradicting results. Thus we asked to provide the data
asynchronously via FESCo ticket.

--
Aleksandra Fedorova
bookwar