Re: Has fedpkg + dist-git replaced rpmbuild for building new/local packages?

Dne 08. 10. 19 v 12:04 Ankur Sinha napsal(a):
On Tue, Oct 08, 2019 12:21:05 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
Yup. If you prefer working in a dist-git like layout, just configure rpm do
behave that way. One possibility is simply:

%_topdir	%{getenv:PWD}
%_sourcedir	%{_topdir}
%_specdir	%{_topdir}
%_srcrpmdir	%{_topdir}
%_builddir	%{_topdir}

..and perhaps %_buildrootdir as well. And then just "mkdir foo; cd foo" when
starting a new package.

The reasons that rpm doesn't default to this directory per source package
layout include
- there are cases where this doesn't work so well
- it'd invalidate 20+ years of documentation on the subject
- nobody has sat down to figure how to transition the existing assumptions
to this type of layout without breaking everybodys setup in the progress
I'll add this to the docs pages when I find time. It can go in the
"prepare your system" section:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/creating-rpm-packages/#preparing-your-system-to-create-rpm-packages

It'll be easier for newbies to transition to fedpkg + dist-git after the
package is approved if they use a similar layout right from the start.

There is disconnect. You want something simple for newbies but you immediately start talking about fiddling with configuration files? I would never suggest to anybody to touch any configuration file and I would not suggest this to newbies especially.

Vít

Would anyone else have the cycles to review/update these pages in the
meantime please?

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/creating-rpm-packages/
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/create-hello-world-rpm/

(I don't see any other package building related pages there)