Re: Has fedpkg + dist-git replaced rpmbuild for building new/local packages?

On Mon, Oct 07, 2019 at 12:13:34PM +0100, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 07, 2019 12:16:28 +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> > If you would like to have rpmbuild mentioned in the docs, then mock should be
> > mentioned as well.
>
> mock is mentioned in the "Create an hello world rpm" doc:
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/create-hello-world-rpm/
>
> But, "make a package" on the "Join the package collection maintainers":
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers#Make_a_Package
>
> links to the top level "Creating rpm packages" document which does
> things in terms of fedpkg:
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/creating-rpm-packages/index.html

Plain rpmbuild has all the wrong defaults. It caters to the 90's
layout of ~/rpm/{SPECS,RPMS,SRPMS,whatnot} which leads to pointless
file naming conflicts between packages, and is generally incompatible
with the idea of version control. It also makes it hard to account and
clean up disk space, since you can never know when exactly a file in
one of those global directories is stale.

Other rpm tools also generally have no concept of "this directory is a
package", so one must always specify the exact file to operate on
(either .spec, or .src.rpm). At least when saying 'fedpkg build' you
can't specify a wrong version, while with
'rpmbuild -bb foo-3:232-5-fc30.point11.src.rpm' is it more than easy,
esp. when relying on shell history.

All those things can be solved, but each of them is annoying,
confusing, and an easy source of errors. Exactly what you don't
want to expose newbies to.

fedpkg manages to sidestep many of those issues. Hence, I think
it is very much appropriate to teach new packagers this workflow.

If anything, we should make it easier to use fedpkg even without
any integration with the fedora infrastructure. IMO, anything
which starts with rpmdev-setuptree is doing the reader a disservice.

Zbyszek