Re: Has fedpkg + dist-git replaced rpmbuild for building new/local packages?

On Tue, Oct 08, 2019 09:07:14 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 08, 2019 at 12:38:21AM +0100, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 07, 2019 20:40:07 +0200, Aleksandra Fedorova wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > <nip>
> > >
> > > I think we are talking about different things.
> > >
> > > It all depends on which question the doc is trying to answer.
> >
> > So, there are two different documents with two different target
> > audiences.
> >
> > - The first is this:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers
> >
> > This is intended for newbies. It goes through the whole process step by
> > step.  On this page, fedpkg is introduced at the "Add package to SCM"
> > step:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers#Add_Package_to_Source_Code_Management_.28SCM.29_system_and_Set_Owner
> >
> > Unfortunately, at the "Make your package" stage:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers#Make_a_Package
> >
> > The "How to create an RPM package" now links to:
> > https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/creating-rpm-packages/index.html
> >
> > which introduces fedpkg out of the blue. From what I remember, it used
> > to link to the "How to create a GNU Hello world package" which focuses
> > on building the rpm only and not the rest of the process. This is here:
> > https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/create-hello-world-rpm/
> >
> > Unless there are strong objections, I will update the wiki page to make
> > it point back to the "How to create a GNU Hello world package" page.
>
> I'd be against. "How to create a GNU Hello world package" is a archive
> of obsolete concepts: http:// urls, obsolete scriptlets, direct %{?_smp_mflags} use.
> And of course my favourite: rpmdev-setuptree.

OK, but that can be updated---these docs have been auto-exported from
the wiki. They need to be reviewed.

> Let's instead teach people how to do packaging without mucking with
> their home directory or system at all. Keep everything in one directory.
> Use git. Use mock.

I honestly don't care much about what files they use---that is a mere
workflow/standard thing and can change all the time. Today it's fedpkg,
who knows what it'll be tomorrow. The skill that does not change is the
"building the rpm" part.

Getting started with fedpkg is already making a newbie, who has no idea
of packaging, learn: rpm (even if you don't use rpmbuild, you have to
know how specs work) + git + another tool (mock). That is far too much
for a beginner. When they start, we really should let them focus on
getting a working spec file.  That is hard enough for complete
beginners.

So, we're talking about different target audiences. For packagers who
know how to build rpms, sure---fedpkg is lovely, does everything you
need or don't need. For newbies, let's let them work on building the rpm
first and then throw them down the process rabbit hole with fedpkg.

--
Thanks,
Regards,