Re: Has fedpkg + dist-git replaced rpmbuild for building new/local packages?

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 5:21 PM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 3:11 pm, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > So I guess I am arguing that while the "new package for existing
> > maintainers" remain at the `fedpkg` level of doing things, the "join
> > the
> > package collection maintainer" page for newbies, who should not be
> > assumed to have prior knowledge about rpm, should start at the
> > `rpmbuild` level and promote them to `fedpkg` when they reach the
> > "import to SCM" steps.
>
> I don't agree. I can probably count on one hand the number of times
> I've used rpmbuild directly in the past five years. fedpkg is much
> simpler, and simple is what we should be promoting to new packagers.
>
> We can all have our own preferred workflow, nothing wrong with that.
> But the newcomers guide should be as simple as possible. Learning
> packaging is complex and the fewer tools that new packagers need to
> learn, the better.

I strongly disagree with your take on what simplicity is. There
various kinds of simplicity: simple to execute, and simple to
understand.

Rpmbuild is verbose, it provides more details and information without
wrapping it all in helpers, isolation layers and so on. Thus with
rpmbuild you can easily get, what is going on.

I'd argue you don't want newcomers to copy-paste three cryptic
commands and leave forever, you want to educate people on what they
are doing. And cutting corners doesn't help in teaching.