Re: [HEADS-UP]: Mercurial with Python3 on rawhide?

On 08. 09. 19 18:01, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 7:21 PM Petr Stodulka <pstodulk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi guys,
I apologize that I mystified you a little in my prefious email when I wrote that
I resolved majority of problems. I looked at that closer today after 1.5w and
found that I have been near the start of all troubles. My memory just washed
that pain out.

So I spend some time around and finally it looks that I am able to build at least
something. I guess that all extensions (including hgk, chg) are pretty broken
now as these will have to be build separately probably as well..

The patch with POC of the py2 & py3 packages is here:
      https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=1608765

I think that the solution is pretty bad really (I mean, whole iday about
py2 & py3 rpms is wrong and maybe should be created new component that
will be conflicting with the mercurial - which should be ported to Py3 only).
Such solution would be more clean I guess, with proper Provides/Obsoletes.

I will be offline again since the wednesday's night. Hopefully it helps
someone at least a little.

I was speaking to the Octobus guys on IRC about this, and the issues
reported earlier about hg-git and evolve are fixed in the default
branch tip, just not in a release yet. Can you try pulling snapshots
for hg-git and evolve based on tip and see if the situation has
improved?

I'd rather just have us yank Python 2 entirely from the Mercurial
stack. Barring that, it _is_ possible to make de-conflicted Python 2
and Python 3 packages. I'd rather the Python 2 one be non-default no
matter what, since we *are* removing the Python 2 stack in Fedora 32,
full stop.

If you need help with making less ugly versions of a py2+py3 packaging
of Mercurial, I'd be happy to help there.

Hi Neal! Any help is welcomed! I am going to look at it tonight again to
push it little more. Honestly, I prefer to have Py3 mercurial installed
by default as well, but I have strong feeling that people disagree with
that (sad). I will try to finish the split tonight. After that, it should
be question of several minutes of playing with %files sections and pkg
names to keep Py3 separated or separate Py2 packages instead.

--
Petr Stodulka
OS & Application Modernization