Re: [HEADS-UP]: Mercurial with Python3 on rawhide?

On 12. 08. 19 16:19, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
On Tue, Aug 06, 2019 at 09:35:50PM +0200, Petr Stodulka wrote:
Hi guys,
as discussion was started week ago, Python2 is dying. As that, some
dependencies of mercurial will be orphaned soon (or they are already)
and mercurial as it is has to move in weeks on Python3. As I wrote
in [0], I already started some testing and investigation.

Currently it seems that with ugly hacky fix, we are able to run
somi-working mercurial with Python3. I did just simple testing
that worked for me and in the latest copr-build (below), it seems
that hgk extension is workin as well. But many of you extensions
will be probably broken. So, I guess the most probably mercurial
will be broken for the others who use it.

So it's question, should I rebase it in rawhide and setup for Python3
already even when it is so broken, or should I wait several weeks yet
for additional fixes?

I think it's reasonable to ship in rawhide, if the basic clone
operations work. This will satisfy 99% of use cases, i.e. cloning
of repos from the web without any further interaction with the VCS.
I don't have any data to back this up, but since Mercurial has lost
a lot of it's erstwhile popularity, based on how things go with
other python2-only projects, chances are that most extensions will not
be updated in time for F31. And it's better to have somewhat functional
clone operation than nothing.

I suggest to switch after the branching in F32 only and than (re)consider doing a backport before the F31 beta freeze.

--
Miro Hrončok