Re: [Late] F30 System-Wide Change proposal: GCC9

On Tue, 2019-01-22 at 08:21 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 10:29:28AM +0100, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> > I'm sorry, I forgot to create the every year feature request for GCC this
> > year and only realized that when I've successfully built first non-scratch
> > gcc 9 rpms.  I believe Carlos has been mentioning GCC when F30 mass rebuild
> > has been discussed and GCC updates is something that has been done every
> > year in Fedora since at least Fedora 9 (we've skipped GCC 4.2 release back
> > in 2007).
>
> That's all true, but the change process still helps us coordinate. There are
> many new people in Fedora every year, and the more we have documented and
> explicit rather than "oh yeah, this happens every year", the better.
It also be of historical importance later on - it documents why and when the change was done
for future generations, who might no longer remember the reasoning.

There might be even cases where you find software referencing some strange other project,
only to find two old Fedora change pages, one documenting the project being added to Fedora and
another one documenting it being replaced by something else later on.

This can be really helpful when hunting down obscure bugs or untangling reasons for past design decisions.