[Late] F30 System-Wide Change proposal: GCC9

[This proposal was submitted after the deadline. I am announcing it
for community discussion and will leave the decision on whether or not
to grant an exception to FESCo]

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/GCC9

== Summary ==
Switch GCC in Fedora 30 to 9.x.y, rebuild all packages with it, or
optionally rebuild just some packages with it and rebuild all packages
only in Fedora 31.

== Owner ==
* Name: [[User:jakub| Jakub Jelínek]]
* Email: jakub@xxxxxxxxxx

== Detailed Description ==
GCC 9 is currently in stage4 since January 7th, in prerelease state
with only regression bugfixes and documentation fixes allowed.  The
release will happen probably in the middle of April.
rpms have been built are since today in rawhide.

== Benefit to Fedora ==
See http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-9/changes.html for the list of changes.

== Scope ==
All packages should be rebuilt with the new gcc once it hits f30, or,
if there is not enough time for that, just all packages built after
the new gcc hits the buildroots.

* Proposal owners:
Build gcc in f30, rebuild packages that have direct dependencies on
exact gcc version (libtool, annobin, gcc-python-plugin).
* Other developers: First few days/weeks just voluntary rebuilds using
the new system gcc, if things fail, look at
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-9/porting_to.html and fix bugs in packages or,
if there is a gcc bug or suspected gcc bug, analyze and report.
* Release engineering: . Mass rebuild requested for F30.
* Policies and guidelines: No policies need to be changed

== Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
No impact

== How To Test ==
GCC has its own testsuite, which is run during the package build, plus
many other packages with automated tests also help to test the new
gcc.

== User Experience ==
Users will be able to see compiled code improvements and use the newly
added features.
Developers will notice a newer compiler, and might need to adjust
their codebases acording to http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-9/porting_to.html,
or, if they detect a GCC bug, report it.

== Dependencies ==
libtool, annobin, gcc-python-plugin depend on exact gcc version, those
need to be rebuilt.

== Contingency Plan ==
If bugs are discovered, I'd appreciate help from the package owners in
preparing self-contained testcases to speed up analysis and fixing the
bugs.  Don't have time to debug issues in
12000+ packages, especially when in many cases it could be caused by
undefined code in the packages etc.  I don't expect we'll have to fall
back to the older gcc, we've never had to do it in the past,
but worst case we can mass rebuild everything with older gcc again.
Jeff Law has performed test mass rebuild on x86_64.

* Contingency mechanism: Revert to older gcc, mass rebuild everything again
* Contingency deadline: Before release
* Blocks release? Yes
* Blocks product? No

== Documentation ==
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-9/

== Release Notes ==
Fedora 30 comes with GCC 9.1 as primary compiler, see
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-9/changes.html for user visible changes in it.

--
Ben Cotton
Fedora Program Manager