Re: [Late] F30 System-Wide Change proposal: GCC9

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 10:29:28AM +0100, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> I'm sorry, I forgot to create the every year feature request for GCC this
> year and only realized that when I've successfully built first non-scratch
> gcc 9 rpms.  I believe Carlos has been mentioning GCC when F30 mass rebuild
> has been discussed and GCC updates is something that has been done every
> year in Fedora since at least Fedora 9 (we've skipped GCC 4.2 release back
> in 2007).

That's all true, but the change process still helps us coordinate. There are
many new people in Fedora every year, and the more we have documented and
explicit rather than "oh yeah, this happens every year", the better.

It sounds like you're thinking of it a little as "bureaucratic paperwork
where we pretend that there's some debate about whether we're going to
continue doing a completely normal thing". But it's not that. It's "the
process for making sure our routine update to GCC across the whole distro
goes smoothly for everyone".

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>