Re: [Late] F30 System-Wide Change proposal: GCC9

On 21. 01. 19 23:42, Ben Cotton wrote:
On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 4:38 PM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think we want this to go through. The new version is already packaged and
I know some work has been done to resolve compilation failures. There's
still plenty of time to resolve the remaining issues.

I agree, mostly because getting the new GCC in fits well with our
"First" foundation (assuming there aren't show-stopper bugs, etc).
But...

It would also be very awkward to *not* allow this: gcc has already
been built in F30, so we'd need to bump the epoch and build a lower
version after branching if we want to keep using 8.x in F30. That'd
not be pretty.

...this is a bad reason to approve a change, IMO. In order for the
Change process to work as intended, Changes should be submitted and
approved before being implemented.

Exactly. I'd very much vote +1 for a gcc update, but this is not a way to do it.

This is already happening, gcc was updated, I see bugs for gcc 9 related FTBFS being open. This is not a proper way to coordinate this kind of thing.

The process is roughly:

 * change proposal
 * approval
 * do it