Re: Proposal: Move to an annual platform release starting at F30

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 1:14 PM Brian (bex) Exelbierd
<bexelbie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 12:12 PM Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 8:07 AM Brian (bex) Exelbierd
> > <bexelbie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > This.  Yes This. +100
> > >
> > > I think that Fedora's role as an innovater in the OS space means we
> > > should be aggressively exploring this.  Rolling Releases, Tech-Driven
> > > Releases and Time-Based Releases all have well known positives and
> > > negatives.  All of the work that has been done on Modularity,
> > > containers, flatpaks, OSTree, and more, gives us the opportunity to
> > > really re-think this.  While it is true there are dozens (or more)
> > > additional solutions to the too-fast/too-slow and the
> > > incompatible-libraries problems, these technologies seem to be gaining
> > > the most adoption across a variety of use cases.  They are all also
> > > generally well supported in Fedora and we need to aggressively push
> > > them to achieve this goal or determine where the dead-end is so we can
> > > move to the next innovation.
> > >
> > > I personal am hugely in favor of us adopting a bootable-base model
> > > that allows us to iterate the kernel and the various user-space pieces
> > > at the speed of the upstream, the user's desires and the builder's
> > > desires[^0] all at the same time.  While this will require us to do
> > > some level of NxM matrix building and testing, a base that didn't have
> > > to change often for most use cases reduces the matrix considerably.
> >
> > The above doesn't make sense, you're saying "move as fast as upstream"
> > and "a base that doesn't change" in the same context, which is it?
>
> I've failed to be clear - sorry about that.  Let me try again.
>
> Please remember that I tend think from the lens of user space, not
> kernel space.  So there may be detail errors in this, I am hoping the
> concepts are valid though.
>
> In general, I can run various versions of my applications against
> multiple different kernels, for example.  Therefore, if I have a
> kernel that changed once a year, it isn't going to, for many
> applications, stop me from changing versions multiple times during the
> year.  Therefore if Fedora had a stabilized bootable base, I could
> move my applications at the cadence of upstream, or a stabilized
> release (not at all) or at the speed in the middle I want.  Fedora
> might not build the entire range of that, but I am not prevented from
> choosing amongst multiple Fedora provided options (stable vs devel or
> all supported upstream releases, for example).

So you mean that you want CentOS stable base and latest software you want?

> [...]
> > > possible from this bootable-base so that those can iterate at their
> > > own speed, perhaps 4 year for a laptop vendor and 30 day for a
> > > experimental ARM device.  Fedora as a project might not build output
> > > for the whole range, but a build system that allowed us to help others
> > > be successful would be a huge help here.
> >
> > Again what do you even mean by eliminate the compilers? Also how do we
> > not change something core, such as a compiler, for 4 years while also
> > change it every 30 days?
>
> "Eliminate the compilers" was meant to mean, make them modules or
> non-bootable base components as much as possible.  I realize that for
> something like glibc that can be hard to impossible and for things
> like Fortran a non-issue.
>
> Communities have different needs, and every time we freeze or force
> change we create challenges for those needs to be met.  My point is
> that by keeping our base to the "light up the machine level (another
> hated idiom) and get containers/flatpaks/etc running" we can allow the
> builder to focus on their community's needs or the user to get their
> own too-fast/too-slow balance.
>
> What I'd like to forego is the long "what is base" conversation.  I'd
> pull it back to what does it take to boot the machine and get
> containers/flatpaks/modules running.  Everything after that should be
> flexible, even if we put down requirements and rules for the use cases
> we want to tackle and the pieces we build and deliver.
>
> > > I recognize that I, like most people, see the world through the lens
> > > of my specific use case, but remember, "Fedora creates an innovative
> > > platform for hardware, clouds, and containers that enables software
> > > developers and community members to build tailored solutions for their
> > > users."  As long as we don't block a use cases arbitrarily and we
> > > leave room for that innovation and service we are doing the right
> > > thing.  The debate about what use cases should be done fully by
> > > Fedora, enabled for a SIG/WG via our build system or done externally
> > > by those using only the parts that make sense for them is a separate
> > > debate.
> >
> > I agree on some of your points above, but TBH most of it reads like
> > some form of marketing coolaid!
>
> Marketing Koolaid (in the interesting and love sense, not the
> pejorative) would be really good for Fedora right now, if we want
> increased adoption and contribution.  Flexibility to allow our mission
> statement to keep being true is critical.  I fully admit that my
> skills are not in distribution building and that you and others in
> this thread have those skills in greater capacity than I do.  But I
> don't hear anyone starting from the premise of our mission statement
> and then moving forward.  I feel like a build/distribution focused on
> easing the build process and ability to provide across the full
> too-fast/too-slow spectrum, even if we as a project don't fill the
> whole spectrum, is crucial to Fedora's ongoing success.

I have nothing against, but stopping release for some mysterious
reasons seems bad idea, but if we get some specific goals which we try
to achieve -- I might even support this idea.