Lifecycle objective - problems, solutions, and proposal

I worked with FPL Matthew Miller and our engineering manager Jim
Perrin, among others, to define the various problems we want to solve
in diversifying the Fedora lifecycle. We're seeking review and
feedback from community members. The most salient feedback will be
from those involved in the efforts we describe, but we welcome all
constructive feedback.

Here's the summary from the page, which proposes we pause the release
after F30 for these efforts:

* * *
Fedora’s singular lifecycle has been in place for almost a decade and
a half. During that time, technology users have changed how they
consume platform and applications. Fedora needs to be more toward the
forefront of these changes. But more importantly, Fedora needs to be
more hospitable to community management of lifecycle.

Currently Fedora can’t scale for more community ownership of the
things we release: (1) Only a few people can build and push out
releases; and (2) we manage releases largely based on that staffing.
The Fedora community should be able to run releases of content
themselves, using tools that work well, with only minimal oversight,
and determine their own schedule for doing so.

This implies a great deal of both redesign and reworking of tools and
processes. To unblock the community, several things need to happen. We
need a faster, more scalable compose to enable CI/CD operations; we
need to automate more testing and quality measures; and we need to
update our delivery tools and processes. We also need to track and
coordinate this work across teams, since it involves collaboration
among Fedora infrastructure, QA, applications, release engineering,
CentOS CI, maintainers, and more.

We should skip the F31 release cycle and leave F30 in place longer in
order to focus on improving the tooling and testing changes. These
tooling changes will improve the overall reliability of Fedora, and
will decrease the manual effort and complexities involved in producing
the distribution artifacts. Although we’ve done this before to make
“editions” happen, the intent is to track this multi-team effort more
actively so we can (1) use the time as well as possible, and (2) give
the work maximum transparency.
* * *

The full page is here, with a set of problems, solutions, and actions
proposed. I invite you to take time to read it in detail:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives/Lifecycle/Problem_statements

I also attached that page to the main Lifecycle objective page here,
which was previously approved by the Council:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives/Lifecycle

Rather than try to spin this one email into a thread of doom that
people will give up on reading, I encourage those with feedback to
open a thread for any particular topic. That way the community
discussion should be more useful for all.

I'll collect input and use it both for responses and to help tweak
plans for (hopefully) optimal results. I'm on vacation next week, for
which timing I apologize. But I'll try to look at mail here from time
to time and when I return.

--
Paul