Re: Fedora should replace mailing lists with Discourse

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 08:58:57 -0700
"Gerald B. Cox" <gbcox@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 8:31 AM Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Once upon a time, R P Herrold <herrold@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> > > This seems very tone deaf and lacking in introspection, Matt
> > >
> > > perhaps by reading the subject line you chose to start this
> > > thread with
> >
> > Matt didn't choose that - that subject was set by Gerald B. Cox.

Yeah, it is kind of confrontational; there's a big difference between
'Should Fedora replace mailing lists with Discourse?'
and 'Fedora should replace mailing lists with Discourse.'

One implies a community discourse, the other implies a decision already
made.

> As I previously mentioned with all the top-posting, excerpts and
> hyperbole
> interjected by others people
> get lost and run with mis-quotes - perhaps Discourse could help with
> that. ;-)
>
> Software is a tool for me.  I don't get emotionally attached to it -
> as some people apparently are.  It's a bit telling that
> many people seem to be afraid that Discourse will be a success.

It isn't free for people who have already a good working system to
adopt Discourse.  They have to invest time and effort in learning,
adapting, and helping fix the new system.  What's in it for them?  I've
had this happen to me in the past, but I was paid by my employer for
the time and effort.

You aren't really selling Discourse, so much as trying to bludgeon
people into going along with your opinion.  Anyone who's been around
the block a few times knows that there are lots of fads with fabulous
press that don't pan out.

So, you are really gung-ho for Discourse.  What is your personal
experience of using it on a project, before and after?  Did you
actually see more engagement?  Did the process of development run
smoother than it had before?  Did new contributors join the project you
were working on?  Did experienced contributors keep contributing?  Did
it help build community spirit?  Did it make *your* life easier?