Re: What to do about sagemath

%buEm ter, 16 de out de 2018 às 15:05, Miro Hrončok
<mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> On 16.10.2018 19:17, Jerry James wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 9:51 AM Jerry James <loganjerry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Sadly, no.
> >
> > Here is the challenge, Python aficionados.  The attached file,
> > test.pyx, can be processed like this on Fedora 28 with Cython 0.28.4:
> > "cythonize -3 test.pyx".  That succeeds and generates code that Does
> > The Right Thing.
> >
> > On Rawhide with Cython 0.29rc2, that fails as noted earlier in this
> > thread.  The name PyLongObject cannot be imported with cimport.  How
> > does the code need to change to compute the same result?
>
> This compiles for me:
>
> from cpython.longintrepr cimport PyLong_SHIFT, py_long, digit
> cdef const digit* D = (<py_long>x).ob_digit

  I am afraid I did not help with sagemath for quite some time, and
would really like to
thank Jerry for keeping working on it.
  The big problem with sagemath is that they gave up on having patches
accepted by
several different upstream projects long ago. After giving up on
getting patches everywhere,
they eventually started adding all kinds of patches to lots of
packages, and one might even
need their version of gcc/g++ to build.
  At some point it was required to build a custom cython in the
buildroot, and use it. Currently
there is the cython_hack bcond. The problem of using a custom cython
in the buildroot is
that a minor set of functionality would be lost after install due to
incompatible cython.
  I am afraid I would suggest temporarily adding a '%bcond_without
bundled_cython',
and using a custom cython build *until* a compatible cython is
available in rawhide/
otherwise, it breaks in a way that would be way too complex to recover from :(

  I am still around, just that could not get back on having enough
free time for volunteer
work in Fedora for several months in a row :( But I hope it will change soon.

Thanks!
Paulo