What to do about sagemath

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 10:35 AM Charalampos Stratakis
<cstratak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Only sagemath worries me in this list since AFAIK there is still some way to go, for full python3 support upstream.

I wrote about this about a month ago, and then got super busy and
didn't follow up.  Sorry about that.  But this is still an issue that
needs to be tackled, one way or another.  As I see it, we only have
three viable options.

1. Somebody adopts the necessary python2 packages to keep sagemath
going until upstream completes the python3 migration.  There will be
other problems.  For example, rpy upstream dropped python2 support, so
the latest rpy version (needed for the latest version of R) isn't
available for python2.

2. We can switch sagemath over to the experimental python3 build.
Lots of stuff is known to be broken in the python3 build.  If upstream
doesn't get things substantially working by the time of the Fedora 30
release, we should state clearly in the Fedora 30 release notes that
sagemath users should not install or upgrade to that release.  Then
we'll have to cross our fingers and hope that sagemath upstream
completes the transition by the time of Fedora 31.

3. Remove sagemath from Fedora.  Tell sagemath users they will have to
build it themselves from source.

I don't have the bandwidth for #1.  I'm stretched too thin already,
and have been pondering what I can give up to better concentrate on
the stuff I care about most.  I am also facing spousal pressure to
resign from Fedora package maintenance altogether.  I sent Paulo an
email at the beginning of this week, asking him what he wants to do.
I have not heard back from him.  I have not heard from him for months,
actually, so I do not know what his status is.

Bottom line: unless somebody else shows up soon willing to take on #1,
we will be forced to go with #2 or #3.  Frankly, #3 is probably better
than fooling users into thinking that #2 is going to work.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/