Re: What to do about sagemath

On 5.10.2018 04:56, Jerry James wrote:
On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 7:58 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
IMHO You can build the python3 package as well, but blacklist it from
the module.

I'm starting to lean back towards migrating to the (experimental,
buggy) python 3 build.  Lots of python 3 fixes have gone into the (not
quite released) sagemath 8.4.  That would certainly be less work for
me, since I wouldn't have to keep up with python 2 versions of various
packages.  That would be a good thing.  I am soooooo far behind on
Fedora work.  My TODO list has never been so long before, so I think
adding python 2 package maintenance onto the heap is not a great idea.

I still haven't heard anything from Paulo.  I don't know what his
status is, but he seems to be absent for the time being, which means
it's pretty much just me minding the sagemath store.  The state of the
packages will have to bow to my time pressure, unless somebody else
steps up to help with maintenance, which hasn't happened yet.

That was a roundabout way of saying, "I haven't figured out how
modules work yet.  I don't know when I will have time to figure it
out, but probably not soon.  Sagemath is already broken in Rawhide due
to certain python 2 packages disappearing, so something has to be
done, and this seems like the least work for me." :-)

How can I help with the python3 transition?

--
Miro Hrončok