Re: Fedora should replace mailing lists with Discourse

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 1:28 PM Gerald B. Cox <gbcox@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 10:15 AM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 05:00:32PM +0000, Anderson, Charles R wrote:
>> > How do I start a thread on Discourse from email? We should start this
>> > discussion over there so we can experience it ourselves.
>>
>> So, yeah, that's a thing: we currently have that feature turned off, because
>> I'm worried about spam. So you can reply to threads, but not start them.
>

> Matt, would probably be a good idea to turn that on so people could try it out.
> People can also try it out at the following sites:
>
> discourse.mozilla.org
> meta.discourse.org
>
> There are countless others, just do a search.
>

>> Discourse is *definitely* not a smooth, drop-in mailing list replacement
>> like Hyperkitty is.
>

> Of course it's not identical to a what we have now... that is kind of the point.  However, from what
> I have seen the mailing list mode is a good compromise for those who want to continue that mode
> of communication.
>
> I would submit bug reports if I had a problem with the features or capabilities of mailing list mode -
> however, for me it works perfectly.  I would encourage those who aren't happy with it to take a few
> moments to follow up with the discourse people to either file a bug or request an enhancement.  It
> is to everyone's best interest to help to improve the product.

The thing is, it doesn't matter. Discourse is *not* designed to
support the types of discussions that do happen on these lists, nor is
it designed to handle the load or the number of disparate
conversations. I've experienced the switchover from mail lists to
Discourse before with OpenMandriva, and asynchronous development
discussions basically died. The OpenMandriva developers (myself
included) rely on IRC and IRC meetings even more so than we did
before, because Discourse is just awful for this. And OpenMandriva is
a hundredth of the scale of Fedora development list.

I cannot *ever* recommend, in good conscious, moving to Discourse for
Fedora development discussions.

However, I think it's fantastic for user support, as those are much
more context free, incidental, and so on. I've wished for a long time
that we'd integrate fedoraforum.org into the main Fedora Project, but
we never did that...