Re: Orphaning some Java packages

On 09/27/2018 04:34 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 3:39 PM Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Java SIG is dying slowly, this package set recently lost another
>> co-maintainer and I don't have time to maintain all these packages by
>> myself. Switching to module-only content is probably the best move to
>> keep high-quality software delivered to our users and reduce maintenance
>> work at the same time.
>
> Have you done *anything* to try to reinvigorate the Java SIG? I've not
> seen anything at all about this problem.

No, not anything aimed specifically at this. I am monitoring various
channels and help people that try to contribute to Fedora, not only to
Java stuff, if that counts.

> Do Java folks in the
> ecosystem who happen to use RH/Fedora ecosystem stuff know about it?

>From what I experienced, people in Java ecosystem are rarely interested
in packaging Java for Linux distros.

> Are you doing any outreach/advocacy either across the distro ecosystem
> or across the Java ecosystem to try to bring interested people in
> helping with Java stack work?

No, I'm not doing any kind of such activities - TBH human interaction is
not amongst my best skills.

> With Rust, we elected to try to become part of the Rust ecosystem, and
> we've also taken the tack of working with other distributions to be
> able to leverage the efforts across distros to make things better. We
> are in the process of reviving the Go SIG in a similar manner. There's
> no reason Java couldn't too. And unlike Rust and Go, people *need*
> Java for both legacy and new things! Java can be exciting and
> interesting, but some effort has to be made to "get the word out".

Many things we do for Java packaging is distro-agnostic and I always
wanted to have some cross-distro cooperation, but I never had enough
time to start connecting with other distros for real.

> The Python SIG also does a decent job talking about itself and showing
> up at Python events to talk about how Fedora loves Python. Do we love
> Java too?

That's a good idea, thanks. Maybe having a packaging-oriented talk at
some Java conference would help a bit with current situation.

> --
> 真実はいつも一つ!/ Always, there's only one truth!

Mikolaj Izdebski
Senior Software Engineer, Red Hat
IRC: mizdebsk