Re: Orphaning some Java packages

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 10:34:33 -0400, you wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 3:39 PM Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Java SIG is dying slowly, this package set recently lost another
>> co-maintainer and I don't have time to maintain all these packages by
>> myself. Switching to module-only content is probably the best move to
>> keep high-quality software delivered to our users and reduce maintenance
>> work at the same time.
>
>Have you done *anything* to try to reinvigorate the Java SIG? I've not
>seen anything at all about this problem. Do Java folks in the
>ecosystem who happen to use RH/Fedora ecosystem stuff know about it?

This sort of came up a couple of years ago when the packaging of
Hadoop and other Big Data stuff was started by others.

Part of the reason it didn't go far was that the Hadoop / Big Data /
Java community didn't trust / weren't interested in using versions of
the software packaged up into rpms.  I suspect part of the reason was
that it was difficult to know what was happening (it seems like
installing anything non-minor in Java results in hundreds of rpms to
be installed) and too many Java projects don't maintain their
dependencies very well.

Or, short version, the Java ecosystem is either indifferent or hostile
to distribution packages.