Re: [Modularity] Module streams with two different, non-overlapping, package sets?

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 06:55:54PM +0200, Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
> >> solve
> >>
> >> So the conclusion is that inability to have parallel-installable streams
> >> of the same module is not due to technical difficulties to implement
> >> that feature, but rather a consequence of prioritizing different
> >> requirements.
> >>

> > You drew a conclusion that is EXACTLY the opposite of what I said above. We
> > determined that parallel-installation was basically impossible to build in
> > a generic way. Once that was eliminated as a possible requirement, the rest
> > fell into place fairly neatly.
>
> Allowing parallel installation of two distinct package sets, provided
> that they don't conflict in any way - how is that impossible?  I get
> that it's not a goal for modularity to support this, but I don't see any
> technical reason not to allow it.

If those package sets are completely distinct, most of the
arguments Stephen provided indeed don't apply, however, you
still need to thoroughly check that your module and all of its
dependencies are installable in this scenario and you need to
be able to do that in the buildroot as well.  That includes
both modular and ursine buildroot.  Furthermore you need to
come up with a new tracking mechanism in the software database
as well as usable UI and APIs.  All this for only a small set
of modules that could easily delivery via some other method.

A generic solution appears to be impossible.  This kind of a
limited solution can be done but as I said earlier, it's not
currently on the agenda.