Re: [Modularity] Module streams with two different, non-overlapping, package sets?

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 7:52 AM Severin Gehwolf <sgehwolf@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm exploring the Fedora Modularity world and would like to know
> whether it's possible to have two different module streams install two
> different sets of packages? If that's possible, would installing one
> stream remove the packages from the other stream even though the set of
> packages don't overlap? I'm aware that it's not a goal of modularity to
> support parallel installability. But what if the packages themselves
> already allow parallel installability?
>
> Example:
>
> Module name: jdk
> Streams: 8, 11
>
> 1) "dnf module install jdk:8/default" installs these packages:
>
> java-1.8.0-openjdk
> java-1.8.0-openjdk-devel
> java-1.8.0-openjdk-headless
>
> 2) "dnf module install jdk:11/default" installs these packages:
>
> java-11-openjdk
> java-11-openjdk-headless
> java-11-openjdk-devel
>
> After 1) *and* 2) would I have both module streams' packages on my
> system? Would I have only the set from 2) with 1) removed?

I think you would only have the set from 2.

Parallel installation can't be done via streams, so it must be done at
the module level.  So you'd have jdk8 and jdk11 modules, each with a
default stream.  Given the default is specified, an installation would
look something like:

"dnf module install jdk8; dnf module install jdk11"

josh