Re: [Modularity] Module streams with two different, non-overlapping, package sets?

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 10:06 AM Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> On 06/20/2018 02:30 PM, Petr Šabata wrote:
>>> Parallel installation of streams on a single system indeed
>>> isn't supported at this point and isn't planned anytime in the
>>> near future.  In general it's a more complicated problem than
>>> it might seem at first.
>>
>> Could you elaborate and explain what's so complicated about it?
>>

> The short answer is that there exists no generic solution for
> parallel-installation. Many packages rely on well-known resources[1] and
> cannot be parallel-installed at all. Other packages *may* support
> parallel-installation but consumers must take special steps to enable
> support for it.

In general case, when packages conflict, I would agree. But as subject
says, this is about a special case - non-overlapping, non-conflicting
package sets, which can be installed in parallel without taking any
special steps, like java-1.8.0-openjdk and java-11-openjdk that were
brought up in the first message.

> I don't have a good link right now, but folks at Red Hat did a number of
> customer studies and determined that in real-world deployments,
> parallel-installation was very rarely used. Generally, the OS was
> established with a standard set of packages and then anything that needed
> an alternate version was deployed as a VM or container.

Some packages are designed to be parallel-installable for a reason -
because users expect and require that. OpenJDK is an example of such
package. Even different version-releases of the same component can be,
by design, installed in parallel.

> So, when we started looking at ways to provide alternative software, we
> determined that parallel-installation was a non-goal. Not needing to solve
> an unsolvable problem meant that we could focus on the parts that really
> matter: allowing people to select which single version of the software
> meets their needs.

So the conclusion is that inability to have parallel-installable streams
of the same module is not due to technical difficulties to implement
that feature, but rather a consequence of prioritizing different
requirements.

--
Mikolaj Izdebski
Senior Software Engineer, Red Hat