Re: starting services in fedora

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 12:41:15PM -0400, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2018, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
>
> > > That said, maybe Fedora's service preset files these days are
> > > carefully enough written and already formalize such deliberation?
> >
> > Pfff. Yes they are. See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:DefaultServices.
>
> Is packager install sequencing aware of all of the
> various systemd dependency resolution qualifications?
> 	Wants
> 	After
> 	Conflicts
> 	WantedBy
> 	(there are a passel more)
That's something that I haven't considered… Indeed, it is possible to
imagine a scenario where package A has Requires: B, and B could be
installed later in the transaction, hence it's not possible to start
A.service in A's %post.

To make this work, we could either require that maintainers of A add
Requires(post): B, or delay the starting of services until the end
of the transaction, using a transfiletrigger. This second approach
is much more attractive. Actually we already od a delayed
'systemctl daemon-reload' after the transaction, and we could start
the services after that.

Thanks for pointing this out!

Zbyszek