Re: starting services in fedora

On Di, 17.04.18 05:41, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek (zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a bit surprised that there's no reply to this fairly explosive
> idea. Maybe Nikos' text is too long, so let me summarize:
>
> tl;dr: the proposal is to start services immediately during
> installation (in %post), iff they are enabled in presets and the
> system is live (not a chroot or such).
>
> This would mean that e.g. after 'dnf install gpm' gpm would be running
> when dnf exits.

Hmm. While many services make a ton of sense to just be started on
install, for others this doesn't really apply... i.e. starting the
smartcard stuff or gpm right-away makes sense, since they work
out-of-the-box in a sensible, comprehensive way. This is very
different for server stuff like httpd however, which is only vaguely
useful unless configured by the admin to serve the data it's supposed
to serve... Hence I am pretty sure there needs to some per-case
deliberation in place.

That said, maybe Fedora's service preset files these days are
carefully enough written and already formalize such deliberation?

Lennart